Cookers in Kenya
Cookers can either be integrated with an oven or maybe standalone devices. They are commonly powered by gas or electricity and sometimes oil and other fuels are used.
These are cookers that are integrated with an oven. An oven is a thermally insulated chamber used for heating, drying, or baking a substance. They are commonly used for cooking.
There are various types of ovens. These include a double oven, ceramic, gas, and steam oven. In cooking, a conventional oven is a kitchen appliance used for heating and roasting. Foods usually cooked in this manner include meat, casseroles, and baked goods such as cake, bread, and other desserts. The oven is used in many households to cook and heat food.
Modern ovens are typically fueled by either natural gas or electricity. Ovens use a variety of methods to cook. The most common may be to heat the oven from below. This is commonly used for baking and roasting. The oven may also heat from the top to provide grilling. An oven may also provide an integrated rotisserie.
Gas oven cookers
How does a gas oven cooker work?
Modern gas ovens have electric pilot ignitions that create a small, continuous flame that increases in height and temperature by twisting a corresponding knob to the area in use, which is found on the front of the stove. By turning the knobs, the electric current heats an oven’s igniter, opening a valve to allow gas to flow through a burner tube. The igniter sparks a flame beneath the burners or inside the oven and a built-in thermostat gauges the temperature of the oven while in use.
How to use gas oven cookers range
- Place the pot or pan on the burner you want to use. Select the control knob that corresponds to the burner and turn it all the way to ignite. This ignites the pilot light and the highest flame setting will turn on under the pan.
- Adjust the control knob to get the flame height you want. The higher the flame light, the hotter the cooking temperature. Ensure that the flames do not become big enough to flare up the side of the cooking pot.
- Cover the pot or pan for faster cooking time.
- Turn the control knob all the way to off what you are done cooking. Let the range cool completely before cleaning it.
- Spray the cooktop with a non-abrasive cleaner and wipe it down with a soft rag or paper towel after each use.
Advantages of gas oven cookers
- Cost effective-Running appliances on natural gas is typically less expensive compared to electricity.
- They are quick to heat up and cool down. Adjusting cooking temperatures is also managed quickly and accurately.
- Cooking quality-The way in which a gas oven cooks is unique. Slots on either side of the oven’s base allows even heat distribution.
- Environmental friendly-Gas is less detrimental to the atmosphere as it emits less carbon iv oxide making it less harmful to the environment.
Disadvantages of gas oven cookers
- Gas ranges are heavy and occupy space. They do not have portable versions.
- In cases of gas leaks, there can be unexpected fires. Therefore, they should be checked from time to time to ensure that there are no gas leaks.
- Difficult to clean-Cleaning a gas cooktop involves moving the heavy cast- iron burner grates. Each burner has movable parts that can be knocked out of place by accident resulting to uneven flames.
Electric oven cookers
How does an electric oven cooker work?
Electric cookers convert electricity to heat. When the burner dial is turned on, electricity runs through the coil and the metal rapidly heats up. The dials control how much electricity runs through the coils, thus how hot the burner gets. Heating elements inside the oven function much the same way, with electricity making them hotter and the thermostat controlling how much electricity is fed to the baking element. Broil elements basically have only two settings: off, and broil.
How to use electric oven cookers range
- Set the pot or pan on the burner that you want to use. Select a burner that is similar in size to the pot or pan in which you are cooking.
- Turn the control knob that corresponds to the burner selected to the temperature that you want to cook the food. Electric ranges do not pilot light and do not operate with flame, hence there is no lighting anything.
- Turn the knob to off when done cooking. Let the range cool completely before cleaning.
- Clean a glass-top electric range with the specific cleaner provided by the manufacturer. For regular electric ranges, spray the cook top with an abrasive cleaner and wipe it with a soft cloth.
Advantages of electric oven cookers
- Easy to clean
A smooth top electric range is the easiest to clean. Simply lift the element and clean without moving any parts out of the way.
- Even surface.
Smooth-top electric ranges are more stable for pots and pans. The even surface can serve as additional counter or storage space when not in use.
- Easy to use
To turn a burner on, you simply twist its knob and the stovetop starts heating up immediately.an ignitor is not needed to light the burner. Electric ovens also heat up faster.
- Extra features.
Electric ranges come with more optional features such as fans and grillers. Some models even have an element that heats up only enough to keep food warm.
- Multifunction oven.
Some electric cookers have a multifunction oven. This means that cooking with different heating functions simultaneously is possible.
- More-even oven temperature.
Electric ovens offer more even heat distribution throughout the oven cavity, as most fans help the hot air around. This leads to achieving consistent results, especially when baking large batches.
A smooth ceramic cooktop can shatter if a heavy item is dropped on it. If a cast-iron pot is scratched at the top, the shiny surface gets ruined.
- Power source.
If the power goes out, it is impossible to cook.
- Higher running costs
Electric cookers cost a lot to run. This leads to an increase in the energy bill.
They are cookers that can be placed on the counter top without them taking up a lot of space. These type of cookers come in single or double burner with versatile power flames to match every cooking recipe. The cookers come with a fan, which allows air and ensures the temperature inside remains steady thus allowing meals to cook evenly.
- Fast-The appliance can roast and bake food faster due to the fan.
- Cost effective-They save on gas since they do not require a lot of gas or electricity to operate.
- They are easy to clean and maintain.
- Require less space-They are perfect for homeowners with small kitchens since they do not take up a lot of space.
- They come with a durable glass cooktop that is resistant to hard knocks and high heat.
- The appliances cannot cook large meals.
- One has to adjust recipes when using a table top cooker to avoid burning or overcooking the food.
- If cooking cakes and bread, the dough doesn’t rise with ease.
Factors to consider when purchasing cookers
- Gas or electric?
Choosing between an electric or gas cooker is an important decision to make.
The lower operating cost for a gas oven appeals to many, while others opt for electric ovens due to the greater level of control they give over temperatures and cooking areas
- Integrated or freestanding?
A separate integrated oven and hob combination makes your kitchen look modern and stylish although repairs and replacements can be problematic. Freestanding cookers on the other hand, are cheaper and easier to install, repair and replace, and they simply slot into any modular kitchen design.
- Energy efficiency.
When choosing a cooker, look for its energy efficiency label.
- Special features.
Modern cookers come with a variety of special features, and deciding which of these benefits you is key to choosing a cooker.
High capacity oven as it allows the flexibility to prepare large meals or a number of dishes at one.
Frequently asked questions about cookers
- What are cooker cast iron pan supports?
Cast iron pan supports are available on some models of Freestanding Cookers. The benefits of cast iron, is that they are extremely durable and tough and are also a little wider than the hardened enamel pan supports. They therefore give pots and pans more stability while cooking.
- What is a multifunction oven?
Some freestanding cookers come with the option of having the oven as a multi-function oven allowing cooking with a combination of heat from the top and the bottom of the oven, the grill and fan assisted. Some multi-function electric ovens even offer features such as defrost setting, fanned grilling function or pizza cook function.
- Why is my oven not heating up?
First, check that the timer on the oven has not been set to come up. This prevents you from using the oven until the preset time has been reached. If the timer has been set, you will need to cancel this in order to use the oven.
- When I open the oven door, a blast of hot air escapes. Why is this?
This is simply because hot air rises. The fan in the oven works to circulate the hot air in the oven, cooking the food efficiently. Naturally, the hot air will want to reach the top of the oven and beyond. This is why, when you open the oven door, there is a short delay before hot air rushes out from the top of the oven to the ceiling.
- Why is my appliance completely dead?
In such an unlikely event, check the fuse and the socket. Try unplugging the oven and plugging it in to an alternative power source. If it is not working after doing this, seek technical expertise.
- Why is my oven taking too long to heat up?
If one of the elements in the oven has failed, it will take much longer to preheat. Alternatively, check the door seal on the oven. If there is a problem with this, heat could be escaping from the oven cavity and prolonging the time required to heat up the oven cavity.
- My oven is burning all the food. What should I do?
If you are using the highly efficient fan setting on your oven, you may need to reduce the temperature. Fan assisted cooking can reduce the required temperature setting due to how quickly it cooks and circulates hot air. Try reducing the temperature setting to see if the results improve.
- The oven is not heating up but the oven light works. What could be the problem?
If the light works, that means that there is definitely power to the appliance. This problem mostly indicates that there is a problem with one or both of the oven elements, for the cooking function selected. If you have a multi-function oven, try using a different oven function to enable you to keep cooking until a technical expert comes to repair or replace the broken element.
Cookers are one of the essential kitchen appliances in any home. They come in varieties. These appliances play a vital role in our everyday lives. They have not only made cooking possible, but also interesting especially because of the modern technology involved. Apart from that, they have made cooking easy.